Saturday, January 29, 2011

Ma's Stuffing

My Grandmothers stuffing is almost more of a bread custard. It's a lot wetter then the other stuffings I've had, and it's a lot better then the other stuffings I've had. This is what I used.
-White bread
-Eggs
-Whole milk (Heated, I used one of those drink jugs)
-Butter
-Onions
-Sage
-Salt & Pepper
-Parsley
A special loaf of bread comes out during Thanksgiving made for stuffing. As far as I can tell it's just an unsliced loaf of white bread. I had some sandwich rolls I needed to use up, so I'm using four of these and some tiny toast crackers. I cut these rolls into little tiny cubes 1 square centimeter... you know small. I smashed the toasts tiny too.
I chopped up two small yellow onions and several shallots into small pieces also. In my dutch oven I melted a stick and a half of butter. Yes we are going for it people!! Add the onions to the melted butter and cook them on low-meduim heat. Until the onions are soft and melty.
See? This smells great. Turn off the heat
Add the bread, beat 2 eggs and add, salt, sage, parsley, pepper, half the milk. Combined with a potato masher and slowly add the rest of the milk. Mix well and taste to see if anything needs to be adjusted.

I added mine to a smaller dutch oven I have. I LOVE these pans and use them for the majority of my cooking. They cost a nice penny but they'll keep for the rest of your life. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for ten minutes, remove the lid and cook for ten more minutes uncovered. This pairs beyond well with the roasted chicken I posted about.

No comments:

Post a Comment