Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Working with what I had chicken & pork soup

This past week we had a nice blizzard that trapped me in my apartment for 48 hours without going grocery shopping for the past two weeks. I was hungry and only had the odds and ends of meals around my kitchen. Soup is good for working with what you have. I had a very nice opening photo of all my ingredients gathered together but apparently the file is some how corrupt so I'm going to make a list of what I had.
-2 chicken breasts
- 2 pork cutlets
-pastina pasta
-dried wild mushrooms
-carrots
-1 red onion
-garlic
- 1 shallot
-white miso
-2 cans of chicken broth
-can of crushed tomatoes
- quinoa
-salt & pepper
-dried parsley
-punjabi tandoori spice
-1 bay leaf
-olive oil

Keep in mind when you read this all you fancy pants, I'm not a chef. I cook food at home and like to eat it. Also I've never written a food blog and I'm just going to bust into this and figure it out as I go.
So the first thing I did was get a pot of water boiling to poach the meat. bring the water to a boil, put the meat in. Wait for it to come back to a boil, cover the pot with a lid and turn the heat off and let it sit for 20-30 minutes depending on how much meat is in your pot.
I ladled some of the poaching water into a bowl to reconstitute the mushrooms. Once they stew in the soup a while longer they'll progress further. It's just good to soak them separate the grit that's normally on them.
You can almost see in the top of the photo below I precooked the pasta and the quinoa (seprate from each other of course) I cooked 1/3 of the pasta and it was a bit more then I needed, a 1/4 cup would have done the trick. I cooked 1/3 cup of the quinoa also. When I cook quinoa what ever the amount of quinoa I use I double the water amount and it takes around twenty minutes to cook.
While all that was going on, I chopped the veggies and sautéed them in the olive oil for a couple minutes with some salt and pepper. Once I shredded the chicken and pork I added that to the pot along with the quinoa, pasta, chicken broth, 2 table spoons of miso, some of the poaching liquid, a cup of the crushed tomatoes , spices, and mushrooms.
Don't forget to add salt and pepper to taste. I took a photo of the Punjabi spice I had so you know what I'm talking about. I bought mine at a fancy pants kitchen store in Rockport MA. And I purchased my parsley from CVS for 99 cents. I'm fairly certain it's two years old thus making it expired. Anything I read about spice shelf life is only for six months ( :-( )
I put the lid on my cast iron enamel and let it simmer until I was done watching a movie. This soup was very good for just making it up as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment