Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Pork chops!

Good quality pork is the key to a good pork chop, for that matter any good meat dish. Pork you can get at the supermarket is the poor-man's pork. Tough, no flavor, and has an ingredients list on the packaging (WTF?) The pork chops I bought were pricey, but I ended up with a good dinner which is want you want after all your effort. For this matter any meat dish will be day and night if it comes from an animal that lived a happy life. Find a places in your town that offers good quality meat.
-2 pork chops (I bought them french cut)
-one lemon
- Three shallots
-2 crushed garlic cloves
-Bunch of fresh rosemary and thyme
-Olive oil
-Bit of butter
-Chicken stock (or broth)
-White wine
-Salt, peper, and parsley
The chops slightly varied in size so I tied them with some string to make them even in thickness. It Just helps with the over all cooking so always tie them. I patted them dry with a paper towel, and salt and peppered both sides. I pulled out my large and heavy stainless steal pan. If you need to put some oomph into picking up your pan then you have a good one. I bought this one at Target, so you can get a good pan near by for a fair price. OH! Don't forget to look for a pan that can go from the stove top to the oven. Very important. When your pan is hot add some olive oil and the bit of butter to the pan. Add the fresh spices on the stem and the pork chops. Cook two minutes on each side.
Your oven should be preheated to 450 degrees. After both sides have be seared I squeezed in some lemon juice and some lemon zest (if you don't have a zester the lemon juice is fine)
I also now add the garlic and the shallots around the chops. Stick the pan in the oven (Because we have a oven safe pan) for ten minutes to finish. Once done, remove the chops to rest on a plate and discard the spices.
Put the pan back on the stove on medium to high heat and sauté the onions down a bit more. Add some chicken stock and white wine to the pan and scrape the bits from the bottom. I think I added a bit more zest also.
Whisk in a bit of flour and let it reduce down. Salt and pepper to taste and add some parsley. This is a very bright tasting lemony sauce, spoon over the pork chop.
Eat it with some apple sauce and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so good! I think I'll have to try it some time soon.

    ReplyDelete