Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Grilling Carrots

Carrots can go one way or the other, good or some weird mealy mush stick. I normally wouldn't have bought carrots to go as the side vegetable. I wanted broccolini, but the store only offered carrots as a decent grilling option. (Don't forget your veggies kids) You'll need...
-Carrots (look for more slender carrots, if you only can get the larger ones 1/2 them lengthwise)
-Salt and pepper
-Olive oil
-Thyme & Oregano
-brown sugar
-Heavy duty non stick tinfoil

My garden has been growing pretty good so far, and a once a week light pruning gives me all the herbs I'll need for the week. I'm at a point where I don't know what to do with most of it. Hence all the mint water I've been drinking.
Peel the carrots, if you need to trim them down to fit into your foil packet please do. It's easy to overwhelm carrots I've been finding, so use everything with a light touch. Pinch of salt and pepper. Two stems of Thyme and a stem of oregano. Lightly drizzle the olive oil and ad the smallest touch of brown sugar. I know the ADD child in all of us thinks "More sugar, better!" trust me on this, go light. It should aid in the carrot flavor, not highjack you on Willy Wonka's haunted boat ride.
Fold up your carrots into its neat little package and place on the top rack of your grill over the main heat source for 15 minutes or until for tender. The key to the grilling the foil package is not to crowd them, give every veggie it's own spot on the foil to get the grilled goodness. Make two foil packets if you have to. Also, use a heavy duty foil that is nonstick. Over the winter in the bargain bin at the grocery store I picked up a roll of the heavy duty nonstick foil (An end had be crushed and made it 2 dollars.) I use it every time I grill now.

No comments:

Post a Comment